About The Election
Indiana University alumni have the important privilege of electing three of the nine members of the IU Board of Trustees. Indiana's governor appoints the other six, including a student trustee. All trustees serve three-year terms, with the exception of the student trustee who serves a two-year term. Since alumni-elected trustees serve rotating terms, alumni vote for one each year.
In accordance with state law, the annual election is conducted by the Dean of University Libraries on the Bloomington campus, with assistance from the IU Alumni Association. Ballots are counted on June 30, beginning at 9 a.m. If that falls on a Sunday, ballots are counted on June 29. Paper and electronic ballots must be received by 11 a.m. ET. on the day of the election.
Who Can Vote?
Any IU degree holder can vote in the Trustee Election.
How To Vote
The 2013 election is now closed. When the next election begins in June 2014, there are two ways to vote:
- Vote online. Any graduate can vote online.
- Vote by paper. Mailed ballots will be sent on June 1 to graduates who have voted by paper ballot in any of the past three elections.
- Request a paper ballot. Contact Amy Cope, alumni trustee election coordinator, at email@example.com or 812-855-6610.
Questions concerning electronic voting:
When you vote online, you will first have to authenticate yourself with three pieces of information:
- Name, date of birth, and one of the following three criteria: last four digits of your Social Security number, alumni ID, or university ID
- IUAA members will find their alumni ID on their membership card or in the upper left corner of their magazine mailing label.
- If you do not know your ID or need assistance, please contact: Amy Cope, alumni trustee election coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-855-6610.
All ballots must be received by 11 a.m. ET on June 30.
Questions concerning paper ballots:
Paper ballots will be sent to graduates who request a paper ballot and who have voted in any of the past three elections via paper ballot. Any IU degree holder who does not receive a ballot or whose ballot is lost or destroyed may obtain another by contacting:
Alumni Trustee Election Coordinator
Herman B Wells Library Room 234
1320 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
If you choose to vote using a paper ballot, please be sure to sign the envelope. (The Indiana statutes that govern the election require that you sign the envelope; envelopes received without signatures are declared void. If you are not comfortable mailing an envelope showing your signature, you may either sign up to vote online or enclose the signed, official envelope inside another envelope before mailing.)
Paper and electronic ballots must be received by 11 a.m. ET on June 30.
The IU Alumni Trustee election is governed by the statutes of the State of Indiana (IC 21-20-3).